Saturday 14 May 2016

Give me BanglaMore




Wedding Bells and looking swellz
Having came for Indian summer I had thought Goa would have been as far south as I’d dare to venture. My good friend Nabeel though had other plans and managed to get me an invite to an Indian wedding. I had heard weddings here could last up to a week long and with Nabeel about things always tend to get messy. So I decided to arrive a few days earlier to explore the city while I was still feeling fresh.
Stormont 

The first thing that struck me was the sheer size of the city. In the tour guide only one small section of the city centre was covered in the map but that still took me over two hours to walk. That meant picking a hostel was all about location. 
Cubbon Park in the city centre
Thankfully I lucked out when I choose mine, Electric Cats, as it was only a twenty-minute walk from the newly running metro. Only one line of the metro is opened running laterally through the city. It has taken 5 years and $2.1bn (3 times the budget) to build, slow even by India’s standards of red tape and bribe based construction hold ups, but when all the lines are up and running it will make travelling in the city a lot easier. Autorickshaws will hardly break the bank at £2.50 for a 1 hour journey but the exact same route by metro took me 20mins and cost me 14p. The idea of a metro is still quite alien to a lot of Bangalore’s inhabitants. Kids bursting with excitement at the ticket booth, cheated death rushing through the slide doors before they guillotined back shut. The blank stares the older generation returned to the many aides and helpers reminded me of the same look with my mum when I showed her how to use on-demand for the first time. But getting off at MG Road station I felt like I could have been back in Shanghai’s East Nanjing station or any western city with the number of big label shops and boutiques. Advertising boards everywhere, each adorned with the whitest Indian guy you could find just to make sure the product sells.

Tipu's Summer Palace

Iskcon Temple
Over the first few days I visited my fair share of temples. In the south of the city was the Bull Temple, a towering black bull statue reared up on a platform in the centre. He seemed too colossal to be housed inside, giving the impression that with one snorting toss of his head he could tear the whole building down around you like a Minotaur of Ancient Greece. After that was the Hare Krisna Iskcon Temple in the north. It had a strict dress code so lungis were needed to cover bare knees and all shoes and socks deposited at the door. The whole complex was laid out in a winding loop with the metal handrails reminiscent of cueing for an amusement park ride. First we went through two small temples, serving as a prelude of what was to come. Ornately carved wooden doors and a collision of colour adorning the statues on the altar. Ponytailed disciples lit incense and planked in worship at the front. The doors of the main temple were at least 20ft high and again each panel had its own intricate etching. Inside my eye was immediately drawn to the main altar comprised of three open doors, a mess of stories played out by statues and incense all gilded in gold. True to form the railing wound round the front of it so everyone could see up close and make their offerings. In the centre of the room there was a band sitting on plump embroidered cushions playing sitars and traditional pipes. Others chanted along with them the same praises to Krishna, who looked down on approvingly from detailed fresco paintings on the ceiling. I was to see a lot more of Krishna after that though as we wound our way through four separate souvenir stores. This gave me plenty of time to stock up on everything from pencils and postcards to DVDs chronicling his adventures and all emblazoned with that blue spectral face.

Blinds and Basket Weavers in the street
It says a lot about Bangalore that after seeing all that there wasn’t really much touristy left to see. 
Toit's Microbrewery
Again, like Shanghai, it seemed a city I’d rather live in than want to visit as a tourist. And like Shanghai when there’s nothing else on, day drinking is always an option. So it was I found myself with a crowd, including the hostel owner, at around noon sampling the beers at Toits, a microbrewery. These have sprung up everywhere in Bangalore and are not so slowly spreading to other cities. After our first few pints we were even offered a free tour of the facilities and saw exactly how they made each type of beer starting with the malt and right through to the finished article, putting the rather tame Guiness factory tour to shame in comparison.

Jackfruit Vendor
One of the big highlights were the games in the hostel at night and learning backgammon in particular. It was always a game I had seen but never played, like Spyro because of Xbox. Playing with a fiery Egyptian who was a big fan of learning by doing he schooled me in the first few before I was able to come back and hold my own. Another first for me was trying jackfruit, I had never even seen  it before and so it was like hearing they had brought out a new flavor of skittles. About the size of a melon but with a skin more similar to a bulbous grapefruit, the vendors have to hack it down to the wee nubs of fruit that look like a deflated light bulb. With a knife they pry out the stone and you are left with a rubbery chewing fruit that tastes a bit like a fruit salad bar. Tasty but you have to be able to get over the nauseating image of the swarms of black flies covering them before you buy them.

The monsoon has seemed to have pulled a fast one on all meteorologists, showing it’s not only Ireland, and the first few showers have came early. At first these thunderous downpours were sorely needed, dropping the temperature from the high 30s and releasing fresh smells from the parched ground and plants. That was at first. After an hour roads were starting to swell and footpaths were transformed into shifting swamps. Garbage blocked drains unsurprisingly failed to deal with a week’s worth of rain coming in a couple of hours. Getting home became its own adventure powering through shin deep mud brown water and dodging cars that were amphibiously splashing past you, all desperate to get back. That night I had to navigate my way across town to check in at my hotel for the wedding. Indian practice dictates that the family of the bride pays for everything as after, she will then live with the groom’s family. This included my hotel bill, a friend of a friend of the bride, crazy but I wasn’t complaining. The first night we went for the pre pre wedding Mehandi ceremony in her family home. Here artists use natural dyes to draw intricate patterns on their forearms. The longer these dye-tattoos stay on the bride, the longer the marriage will last. All of the bride’s family were getting tattoos too so as a sign of solidarity I allowed them to do my hand as well. However I didn’t realize that the Mehandi is usually only for the females in the party so rather than draw an intricate feminine hand tattoo, the artist went for the sort of scorpion he’d draw for a 12 year old at a family party.
The Bride's Mehandi, her mum getting her's and my whopping scorpion

The next day was the ceremonial puja in the morning before the more festive Sangeet in the evening. It was like the set of an Indiana Jones party; an old ruined temple, illuminated by strings of fairy lights and colour lamps hanging everywhere. Entertainment was provided by the bride and her friends in the form of traditional choreographed dances. Even the kids were getting in on the act with a few modern takes. Pride of place in the centre of the marquee, was a sofa for the bride’s mother and father to sit back and bask in the affection lavished on them.
Sangeet
Offie/Bar complete with rum carton, bleak
Being a Brahmin wedding though meant there was no drink and strictly vegetarian. The first of these was easily negated and the last of which wasn’t even an issue. 
The younger generation congregated in the car park and drank out of bottles they had snuck in with them. This was mostly Old Monk’s rum, coming in a Ribena like carton, it only cost marginally more at 80p, and was actually quite tasty. Going in with my pre-poured bottle I was a little nervous, like sneaking drink past your parents. The bride though asked me if I was drinking coke or coke (whilst simultaneously waggling her head from side to side). The Indian head waggle signifies a lot of things, it means hello, it means yes and basically the equivalent to a wink. Happily I passed over my coke and she downed a good quart before passing it to the groom to do likewise. After that the bride and groom were always first to be visited after a trip to the car park so they could get their own share without being seen to go out. After that was the food and my oh my was it good. A train of servers first laid your leaf, cleaned it, sprinkled salt, sprinkled chutney pickle, the rice, the veg, the salad, the sauce, the sweet, until you had a little bit of everything and were ready to tuck in. There was no cutlery so guests were expected to eat with their hand, I was in heaven. Picking up fingerfulls of rice with a scooped hand you then use your thumb to push it into your mouth. Mixing in the sauce and the veg as you like and each handful is different but so good. The only mistake I made was trusting Nabeel to make my pallet cleanser at the end. This is called Paan and is made of a beetle leaf wrapped around chilies and chuna, lime stone. Nab being Nab decided to put way too much of the chuna paste in and afterwards I was struggling to remember my name let alone taste anything.
Two meals on banana leaves and the dreaded chuna paste white top right
Two Rajs

The only cure I decided was to keep drinking to wash the corrosive taste out of mouth. It might not have been the best idea as the six of us who followed that course of action all slept in the next morning and missed the main part of the ceremony. We were there for breakfast though which was another feast like the one before. I soon gathered a crowd of excited kids who were very interested in the foreigner in their midst. They decided that they must teach me a bit of Kannada, Tamil and Hindi, and were hysterical at the poor attempts I made to repeat them. For lunch and dinner they then coached me how to eat properly and made sure that I ordered all the best bits. Afterwards it was on to my spin bowling in cricket, standing on opposite ends of the reception area and pinging tennis balls at each other regardless of who was walking by. Kids playing cricket in general in India has been such a real experience to watch. It has a very jumpers for goalposts vibe about it with kids using broken chairs, bottles and even stacks of stones to serve as stumps. They will play it anywhere too; on the beach, in back allies, half deserted car parks and everywhere else in between. After another night of car park drinking it was back to the hotel to sleep it off. Nab showed me a proper hungover Indian breakfast of Chicken 65 (spiced chicken with chilli and veg), chicken lollipops (fried chicken drumsticks) and aloo (Indian flat bread stuffed with paneer and potato). Perfect send off before we go our separate ways for a few weeks. Now it’s on to Mysore before pingballing around the Jungle for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment